Since 1977, Hazel's Expedited Freight has been recognized as an established leader in the expedited freight industry. Hazel's has a long and impressive track record of serving the transportation needs of over four thousand customers, ranging from small local companies to Fortune 100 companies. We work with manufacturing companies, public utilities, parts suppliers, and everything in between. We currently have terminals in Austin, Dallas, Houston, Corpus, and San Antonio.
At Hazel’s, we provide point-to-point courier and delivery services, scheduled same day deliveries, expedited “hot shot” deliveries, and over-the-road long-distance transport services. Our equipment ranges from Tractor/Trailers to Box Trucks to cargo vans and pickups. We also offer air freight forwarding services and air charters when ground transport isn’t fast enough for time-critical deliveries.
Hazel’s Expedited Freight is exclusively a Freight Carrier; however, we have a small sister company called Hazel’s Logistics which is exclusively a Broker. Historically, Hazel’s Logistics was used to broker the loads of Hazel’s Expedited Freight that could not be covered with a Hazel’s Expedited Freight Asset. This gave us the opportunity to provide customers with another option to move their shipment. Hazel’s Logistics has not historically been viewed as a growth engine for the business – until now.
Hazel’s is interested in hiring a Vice President of Freight Brokerage Operations to lead the Brokerage business. This individual would report directly to the CEO and would be responsible for all elements of running Hazel’s Logistics. Specifically, this individual would be tasked with creating and implementing a strategic plan to formalize a brokerage department. This individual will have the ability and the resources to build a team around them to realize significant growth in brokerage operations in a short time period.
This is a salaried position with upside bonus potential. This individual must live in or around Headquarters (Carrollton, Texas) and must have significant brokerage experience and experience starting and building a Brokerage business.
- Create a strategic business plan to formalize a brokerage department including sales goals, projections and timelines.
- Design and develop a customer and carrier sales team structure including roles, compensation plans, hiring, and training.
- Acquire new customers by leading the tactical customer focused selling of brokerage services.
- Develop carrier sales techniques focused on carrier development, capacity management and rate negotiations.
- Select and rollout an IT systems infrastructure to facilitate growth and excellent customer service.
- Manage all levels of brokerage business development, account management and brokerage operations.
- Responsible for complete P&L (Gross Margin, Revenue, OE, ROI, Daily Dashboard).
- Develop and manage KPI’s (On-time Performance, Margin, Lane Balances).
- 7+ years of brokerage industry experience, familiarity with modern brokerage practices.
- Entrepreneurial and sales mindset with experience building, leading, driving and managing rapid growth within a freight brokerage organization.
- Ability to close and manage large account business and drive organic growth of existing accounts.
- Proven track record in building scalable, repeatable processes and a disciplined, data driven culture.
- Experience with multiple modes of transportation (primarily TL, some LTL & intermodal)
- Experience with Transportation Management Systems (TMS).
- Experience in managing multiple team members
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and projects and delegate as necessary
- Ability to maintain the highly confidential nature of records
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Competent skills to produce accurate and well-presented reports
- Should be committed to diversity and equality culture
- Ability to operate under tight deadlines
- Excellent customer service skills
- Four year College Degree in a related field
- Knowledge of Xcelerator software system is a major advantage
- Experience with multiple Broker-specific TMS systems is an advantage
- Knowledge of leading Broker Boards (Truckstop, DAT, etc.)
- An pre-existing book of customers is a major advantage
- Relationships with high-quality carriers is a plus
Candidate must successfully complete the following to be hired:
- Rigorous interview process
- Complete background check (including clean criminal record)
- Pre-employment drug test
- Reference Checks
- Position is a salaried position and compensation will be competitive with industry norms and will reflect the experience level of the candidate
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (after 6 months of employment)
- Benefits include:
- o 401k Plan
- o Medical (cost shared between employer and employee)
- o Life Insurance (company paid)
- o Disability (company paid)
- o Dental (employee paid)
- o Vision (employee paid)
- o Cancer (employee paid)